Bill Snow, known by many as "BUGAUP Bill", or "Billy" passed away on 8 March 2018.
New gallery where you can scroll through some of our greatest hits.
NOT A GROUP - A MOVEMENT
A lot of paint has sprayed from the can since the inception of BUGA-UP in October 1979. Since then the number of graffitists actively involved in BUGA-UP grew from three people working in the inner city of Sydney to people working across Australia, and across the world!
People from 8 to 71 years old were active in BUGA-UP. These included entire families - carpenters, domestic and health workers, graphic artists, hairdressers, taxi-drivers, a wrestler, journalists, students, pensioners, research and metal workers, kindergarten teachers, technicians, public servants, unionists and clergy - to name but a few!
Originally the BUGA-UP campaign was broadly aimed at all unhealthy billboard advertisements. However, in response to public opinion we soon focussed our attention on tobacco & alcohol promotions and other promotions that were socially and visually assaulting.
This was one of the earliest examples of Culture Jamming in the world, and certainly in Australia.
This site is dedicated to the activistes who have not only risked arrest, but injury through fence-jumping, scaffold-climbing, dog-chasing and the dreaded spray-back on those cold windy nights.
FURTHER READING and ONLINE ARTICLES
- Global Media Journal Milissa Deitz, Cut and Paste: Australia’s Original Culture Jammers, BUGA UP, 2017
- BUGA UP – You’ve come a long way baby Frances van Zinnen, Overland magazine in August 2012.
- How to Make Trouble and Influence People BUGA-UP interview, 2009
- Rushn Health - Media Articles, 1995
- The Art-Crime Archive" ...can be considered art in altering the public's view and disrupting media culture and mainstream cultural norms..."
- Possibilities for creative resistance "What possibilities exist for creative resistance..."
The essay Civil Disobedience and Tobacco Control: The Case of BUGA-UP by Simon Chapman in 1996 [PDF 2,612 KB] provides some additional information about the history of BUGA-UP.